Now the day is nigh I realise just how much I’ve been fighting against any surgeries!! It’s ALMOST a relief Rose will go for her Gastrostomy this Tuesday.

I was lucky enough to meet a young mum the other day who was here for a year with her beautiful, happy son. They left on his first birthday!

I had loads of questions for her as her son has the GFT I dread for Rose. One of my Qs was

was there anything she regrets?

and she immediately answered that she wished her son had had the ops a month sooner.

After our conversation I felt I’d been holding Rose back from going home for no good reason. Even so, this mum’s informal mentoring helped my headspace and understanding of the situation so much! The hospital should formalise this sort of mentoring!! In this situation you can really benefit from hearing the experiences of a mother who’s ahead of you on the path.

I feel so much more comfortable (tho still petrified of course) about Rose having her gastrostomy and even, maybe… a Fundoplication if it’s for the reason that a gastrostomy will likely cause severe reflux. If it’s for the reason that she’s already at risk of aspirating or laryngeal spasm associated with existing reflux I do not agree that she’s at risk. I do admit however that every specialist I have chosen to trust does not agree and a Fundo is the conservative approach and probably the most responsible decision to make for Rose overall.

Andrew and I will decide either way after speaking to Rose’s surgeon & paediatrician tomorrow.

Meredith (neonatologist from RHW) dropped by yesterday to check on Rose. I appreciate her interest so much. The fact she’s tracking Rose’s progress and takes the time to help me recognise her progress and developmental requirements is quite special. I’m pretty sure it’s not in her job description. She’s definitely emotionally invested in our journey and that gives me a feeling of security.

Meredith mentioned she thought we’d made a lot of right decisions for Rose in terms of when to wait and watch and when to interfere and I can’t tell you how reassuring it was to hear that from someone I respect and trust and believe understands Rose’s situation including where I’m coming from as a mother. I just could not be more grateful for her involvement.


About RoseEir

Premmie born @ 30 weeks with Cervical Teratoma
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Prevarication

  1. she is so gorgeous! don’t hold back

  2. Ann Morgan says:

    Looks like Uncle Ben has been teaching her bad habits as well as the boys!

  3. Sharon says:

    Hi Jane I wonder what she is thinking about? She looks so well and I am sure I could not have handled your situation as well as you have. As your father would have said “we’ll done!” But seriously take notice of what the experts have to say but also your gut feelings. Love to you all

  4. Ness says:

    Hey huni, good luck for Tuesday. We are thinking of you all.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  5. Jane W says:

    That’s great that you were able to speak to a Mum who has been down that path, was it a relief to connect with someone who’s been in your shoes (kind of)? Dr Meredith sounds like a gem too, very insightful and very connected to Rose. Hope she was able to help you with the decisions. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best for Tuesday xxx

  6. Kate says:

    Hi Jane and Andrew,

    Thinking of you all with the big operation tomorrow.

    Love Kate and Charlie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s